Our Family

Our Family

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Another Little Twist

Since my toxemia scare at 25 weeks, my blood pressure has been really good at home.  I have been trying to follow doctor's orders and keep my feet up as much as possible.  I have been staying pretty close to home because it has been really hot and humid.  If I spend much time outside, I can tell that my feet start swelling.

While trying to behave to keep my blood pressure down, I received a phone call from the nurse at the doctor's office telling me that my glucose was high on the glucose screening.  I've never failed that test before, so of course, I was a little freaked out!  She helped me get things set up to do the 3 hour glucose tolerance test.  That stress, I'm sure, did not help the blood pressure situation!  I spent several days worried that, in addition to the concern of developing preeclampsia much too early, I might have gestational diabetes.  Monday morning I headed to the lab to do the dreaded 3 hour ordeal.  I wasn't thrilled about sitting in the lab all morning, but at least I had a good book to read.  The solution I had to drink was awful and it wasn't too much fun being a pin cushion, but the experience was not as bad as I had anticipated.  I was grateful for a fantastic phlebotomist!

That night, I didn't sleep much at all.  The next morning, the phone rang rather early.  When I saw it was the OB's office, I was pretty nervous about answering.  The nurse got right to the point.  As soon as she verified she was speaking to the right person, she said, "You passed!"  She sounded as excited as I felt!  I think my blood pressure lowered at that very moment!  The concern and risk of developing preeclampsia is still there, but at least I don't have to worry about having gestational diabetes.  Whew!  Happy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment