Our Family

Our Family

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Our last (and BRUTAL) winter living in Rochester 2013-2014

As I try to catch up on my posts, I thought I'd share some of my favorite pictures from our last winter living in Rochester.  It was a very long, cold one!
Looking out our front door mid-December 2013 as I waited for Abby's bus from school.
This was just the beginning of our winter…..

 Abby, Emma, and Michael show off their Minnie and Mickey hats from Santa. (January 2014)
I just happen to know the elf that made them.  Thank you Michele!  The kids absolutely LOVED them!

With January's arrival also came the "polar vortex."  Snow days are rare in Webster, NY, but in early January, we had a day with temperatures of -35 degrees with the wind chill.  I guess they considered that cold enough to cancel school.  A few days later, the wind chill was -20 degrees.  That was NOT cold enough to cancel school!  Wow!

Emma is looking out the front door, waiting for her "Abba" to come home from school (mid-January 2014).  As you can see, there is no snow on the ground.  This was just a brief pause in the white stuff.

Oh, and just because it wasn't white outside, it doesn't mean it wasn't cold.  It was terribly cold!  How cold?….  Cold enough that when we actually had a morning that felt pretty warm, I decided I should take advantage of the weather to wash the layers of salt off the car at the car wash.  The line of cars at the car wash was unbelievable on such a warm winter morning.  It was 22 degrees!



 February 2014
My little "Larry Boy" robot superhero...

February 2014
Emma FINALLY started walking on her own!   

With such cold temperatures, the kids did not get to play in the snow very much.
Finally, in mid-February, they had a few days that were warm enough that they were able to make snow angels and run around in the pretty, white snow.

With March's arrival came a crazy blizzard.  School was actually canceled once again.  In Webster, we received over 18 inches of snow in about 24 hours.  That put our season total at 113.2 inches.  (And we weren't even done with the snow yet!)

A couple of weeks later (end of March), we were hit with another big snowstorm.  This is what the parking lot at church looked like! 

 That same Sunday, Emma went to her first day of nursery!  Yeah!  She had a great time!

As winter ended and people were informed of our upcoming move, many asked if it was the crazy winter that was driving us out of upstate New York.  I don't know that I will miss the "polar vortex" cold temps or the blizzards, but at Christmas time in Texas when there is no white on the ground to make everything silent and beautiful, I will probably miss the snow…. at least until January!

No comments:

Post a Comment