Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

My Superpower

One of the "joys" I get to experience while pregnant is a ridiculous increased sense of smell. Things that never smelled before suddenly have an odor so strong it's unbelievable! Smells that never bothered me before now make me sick to my stomach. Coley calls my sense of smell while pregnant my superpower. I'm pretty sure that my ability to smell right now is even keener than Sydney's! We have to laugh about it.... I'll complain about something that stinks and Coley will often reply, "Oh, does it smell? I can't even smell it!"
With this superpower (in combination with a general aversion to food), you can just imagine what the grocery store does to me. I hadn't even attempted to go inside Wegmans since the beginning of February. I knew it would not be wise! A few days ago, I decided it was time to try to do the grocery shopping myself. For the first time in almost two months, I ventured through the front doors. As I walked inside, the combination of all sorts of smells attacked, but I managed to survive without incident. It was quite the victory! While I am quite pleased with my accomplishment, I have to admit that I haven't been back since and am not really excited for my next visit!
I am looking forward to the day I say farewell to this superpower!

4 comments:

  1. Scott and I have the same conversations when I'm pregnant. My increased sense of smell drives him CrAZy! I'm always washing stuff and throwing stuff out b/c it smells funny. The worst thing I did (in Scott's eyes) was wash his pillow b/c the smell was totally getting to me. How was I to know it was a down pillow and would takes weeks (b/c of the humidity out here) to dry? I'm still in the doghouse for that one and that was two babies ago :) I feel for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to that!! I had to laugh at the first comment you got...how true is that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same issue. The grocery store we shop at (WinCO) has a pizza place in it, right near the front door. As SOON as I walk through, I get sick. Terrible. Its just terrible. This post made me laugh though!! And helps me 'remember' all the joys of pregnancy, superpowers and all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so good to have friends who can empathize! Coley is just grateful that I don't think HE stinks! :) One of my cousins had trouble with how her husband smelled when she was pregnant! Kelley- tell Scott that a stinky pillow is nothing compared to that!

    ReplyDelete