Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

"I'm a princess, and my friends are not!"

By Coley

A couple of months ago Abigail said to me, "Daddy, I'm a princess, and my friends are not!" She used a firm, declarative tone that made it clear this was not simply a matter of opinion.

I replied, "Sweetheart, this is something that I think you should keep to yourself. I am not sure that your friends will react well to learning that they are not princesses." She repeated her point several times.

I asked, "Which friends are you talking about?"

She answered, "Robert."

I said, "Robert will be OK with that. You can tell Robert that he is not a princess. I am sure he will not mind. Are there any more of your friends that are not princesses?"

She said, "Alyvia."

"Now, Alyvia will have a problem with that. I would not tell Alyvia that she is not a princess. She will not want to hear that. Telling Alyvia that she is not a princess is not going to go over very well."

No comments:

Post a Comment