Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, March 27, 2011

All Girl or Tomboy?

When Abigail turned two years old, I found myself baking and decorating a "Lightning McQueen" cake.  I remember calling my dad, commenting on how I found it rather entertaining that I was baking a race car cake for my little girl.  We laughed about it, but he thought it was great, especially since he loved the movie, "Cars."  Somewhere between the age of 2 and 3, Abby's interest in princesses became pretty intense.  She still played with her cars and blocks, but now the cars were simply a mode of transportation for the princesses and the blocks were used to build castles.  She also loved wearing princess dresses at home ALL day EVERY day!

Then Abby discovered some books Michael was given when he was born- board books about trucks, tractors, and emergency vehicles.  Recently, they have been THE choice for bedtime stories.  She knows all about front loaders, backhoes, dump trucks, big rigs, etc.  She can even name several parts of each.  (Do you know what a skip is?  She does!)  Now when we drive anywhere, she is on the lookout.  When she spots a truck or tractor, she calls out its name.  We've seen several front loaders, dump trucks, and backhoes this week.  Her favorite game is to look for sleeper cabs because she can usually spot several even if we are only on the freeway for a mile or two.  All I hear from the driver's seat is "Sleeper cab...... Sleeper cab...... Sleeper cab...."  I'm really glad she doesn't know about the "Slug Bug" game! 

After reading all about trucks before bed, Abby makes sure her dolly and stuffed kitty are settled for the night.  She is quite the little girl with a perfect mix of tomboy!

4 comments:

  1. This so made me smile...thanks for sharing Tara.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tara,Abby is so funny. She is just a silly tomboy or a little priness. Thanks for commenting on my blog.Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny! I don't know if I even remember what a skip is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! Michael will have a well informed sister.

    ReplyDelete