Our Family

Our Family

Friday, March 11, 2011

Joy

It has been a pretty crazy week. Coley has been working the night shift (from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m.), so besides the fact that we haven't seen much of each other at all, I spend the day trying to maintain somewhat of a normal routine while keeping the house quiet enough for Coley to sleep during the day. That is no small task with a 3 1/2 year old and a 5 month old. I'm tired!

With that said, tonight was one of those special times where I felt complete joy in my role as a mother. It was bedtime. Abby was missing her dad and Michael was needing my attention. With Michael sitting in my lap on the floor, I helped Abby put on her fuzzy pajamas- the cute ones with the feet. (Yes... it is still cold enough to need them!) I told Abby to put her left foot in. When she was done, I told her to put her right foot in. That was all the prompting she needed. She stood up and continued by narrating her tasks.... "Now my right arm. Now my left arm...."

Then came the part I wish I could have taped....
"Mom, Let's sing the Hokey Pokey. Will you sing it for me?"
As I sang, she danced (and was even able to distinguish her right from her left without any help). She smiled and giggled as she turned around. I loved watching her- full of spunk and happiness. Michael loved watching her too! He squealed in delight and gave us that irresistible gummy smile.

As the three of us climbed up into the glider to read bedtime stories (Michael on one leg and Abby on the other), my heart was very full. I love these two beautiful children so much and am so grateful to be their Mommy!

1 comment:

  1. I am sheading some tears of joy too as I read this. It makes my heart full as well. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete