Our Family

Our Family

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Do you read to your child?

Last week, Abigail's kindergarten teacher sent home a form for me to fill out and return.  It was basically a "get-to-know-your-child" form.  One of the questions on the paper was, "Do you read to your child?"  As an elementary teacher married to a doctor who can't get enough of reading, I smiled as I checked the "yes" box.  I can assure you that there is not a shortage of children's books in this house.  We are constantly reading to Abby and Michael!

For Abby's birthday, she received a box of books about underwater animals.  We have been reading about sharks, whales, dolphins, and manatees.  The box also contained some coloring pages with markers and a trivia game.  The same afternoon I filled out the paper for her teacher, Abigail came downstairs with the trivia game about whales and asked me to read her some of the questions.

The first question was: What is blubber?

Abby's response: "A thick blanket of fat that covers a whale and keeps it warm when it swims in cold water."

My jaw dropped just a little as Coley looked at me and said, "That's what the book said."  


1 comment: