Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Michael's Big Boy Bed

As we anticipate the arrival of our new baby, we have debated on what to do with Michael's transition from the crib.  I didn't want to force him out of the crib if he wasn't ready, but I also knew that he was tall enough to climb out if he decided he wanted to.  (Once he climbs out, he's done with the crib!)  

We bought a twin size bed and set up his "big boy room," but we didn't force the issue.  I moved all of his toys and clothes in there and talked about his new room.  The original plan was for me to work with Michael during nap time in his bed, but not worry about having him sleep in the bed at night.  That plan was thrown out the window when I was put on bed rest.  I decided to not worry about the whole situation until after the baby is born, especially since I will have the new baby sleep in a bassinet in my room for the first few months anyway.

Last week, just a couple of days after being put on bed rest, my friend took Michael upstairs for his nap.   He grabbed his blanket, teddy bear, and little blue pillow and ran to his new room saying, "Big boy bed."  Without any trouble at all, he climbed on his bed and quickly fell asleep.  That night, he wanted to sleep in his big boy bed, but kept running out of his room.  I told him he had to stay in his bed or he would have to sleep in his crib.  He continued to run out of his room, so he ended up in the crib.  He was VERY upset!  That was the last time he was in his crib.  Since then, he has been a BIG BOY in his BIG BOY BED.  I never dreamed he would just make the transition on his own!  

Here's our big boy.  He is so proud of himself one morning as he wakes up in his new room!

No comments:

Post a Comment